Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fiesta Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fiesta Forum.  Like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Be apart of the Ford Fiesta Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos, more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power steering malfunction - 2011 Fiesta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jessers25

jessers25

New Fiesta Member

• Fiesta Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fiesta

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

This evening my one-year-old Fiesta (10,000 miles) wouldn't start, and the message center screen read "Power steering malfunction. Service Now", followed by "Hill assist start not available". It very, very briefly flashed "car not in P" (I don't remember the exact wording, it was very brief and only flashed once). The car has power - checking the battery read out at 12.6-12.8 which is normal. I disconnected the battery for a minute, then reconnected and tried again but it didn't change anything (I didn't expect it would, but it was worth a shot). It was 7pm, so it was too late to call Ford service and get it towed. Obviously, I'll get it in tomorrow but my brain won't let me stop thinking about it. It was driven about 70 miles yesterday with no issues, and to and from work this morning with no issue -- it was only sitting for a matter of six hours.

The manual was no help. Reading about the power steering indicated, in case of the malfunction error, to turn to the message center chapter. All the message center chapter told me was the "power steering malfunction, service now" error is affected by the power steering system (no kidding), and the hill assist not available is affected by the transmission. I assume the hill assist is not available due to the entire car not being available, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Google has been no help in searching for any power steering malfunction in the car.

I don't know how much of the following information is helpful, but maybe it'll put some puzzle pieces together. In November, the battery was completely 100% drained one morning (it ran fine the day before, it was only sitting overnight - it wasn't even cold outside). The power locks didn't work, it didn't make a sound when I turned the key.. nothing, just drained. Nothing was left on, nothing was plugged in (checked, double check, and triple checked that there was nothing). I drove to Ford after a jump and they kept it all day, running tests to find absolutely nothing wrong with it. They said if it happened again they could hook it up to their machine overnight and see what's drawing power, but they were positive that there weren't any issues. I've never heard of an eight month old battery draining overnight with absolutely no reason, but it hasn't happened since. It was shortly after they installed my (glitchy) keyless entry pad, and even though I'm aware that's not connected to my car's power source, the timing was notable. They entered the service as "AC/Heat" on the maintenance log on the website (??), so when investigating my new problem I'm not sure they'll refer to that test properly as it was logged incorrectly.

Secondly, probably least involved, my Sync system reboots almost daily, sometimes twice a day. I'm not at all bothered if technology isn't perfect or requires a reboot, but surely it's not supposed to reboot so frequently? By it "rebooting", I mean when I start my car it will be on the radio (after previously being on USB, Aux, or Bluetooth when I turned it off) and trying to initiate Sync will be unresponsive for about 5 full minutes. If you're familiar with updating the Sync system, it's the same rebooting process after the update is complete. Pressing the Sync button returns absolutely nothing, but after waiting 3-5 minutes it will function as normal. I'm not sure if this is indicative of anything, but I know everything is connected through the car's computer so maybe a glitch in one area might indicate an overall glitch.

Has anyone had any of these issues? Obviously, my main concern is the power steering malfunction as it's rendered my car into a 2600-pound paperweight. It's only a few days shy of being one year old so any repair will still covered under warranty, but it doesn't make it any less inconvenient that I purchased a car for reliability and it simply won't start. :(

Edited by jessers25, 01 March 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Jamesonthefarm

Jamesonthefarm

New Fiesta Member

• Fiesta Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2011 fiesta

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

I know this is almost 2 years later, but what ended up being the problem? I have the exact same problem this morning.

#3 Crazy4aford

Crazy4aford

New Fiesta Member

• Fiesta Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

I was wondering the same thing would love to hear how the out come was

#4 KBlume

KBlume

New Fiesta Member

• Fiesta Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

I just purchased a 2015 SFE 1.0 ecoboost. The steering assist failed as the owner of the lot was pulling car up (so he claims). He gave me a 1,000 dollar discount for this defect. I was happy with the condition of the car otherwise but I cannot find any troubleshooting info on web regarding the Fiesta electronic power assist EPAS

#5 SHARONE

SHARONE

New Fiesta Member

• Fiesta Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Did you figure out the issue

Custom Search

1 user(s) are reading this topic